Marie Wilkinson Food Pantry is modifying its food distribution model immediately in order to limit possible transmission of the coronavirus.
Related Pantry News: Feeding Our Community in a Time of Crisis, COVID-19 Update 3/17/2020
Keeping our staff, volunteers and guests safe, while at the same time ensuring our neighbors in need receive nutrition to keep themselves and their families healthy is the goal.
There are no known cases in the immediate Aurora area. Extra precautions are being taken at this time, to prevent potential spread.
PANTRY GUESTS: NEW DISTRIBUTION PROCEDURES
- Distribution hours will remain the same for the West and East Pantries.
- 12pm – 2pm on Wednesday (West Pantry)
- 1pm – 4:00pm on Friday (West Pantry)
- 8:30am 11am on Saturday (East Pantry)
WEST PANTRY (834 N. Highland Ave.)
- The number of people who enter the building is being limited to maintain social distancing and limit contact points. A volunteer will greet you outside the front door, hand you a number, and ask you to return to your vehicle until your number comes up.
- New guests will receive a number and registration form to be completed in their vehicle. Please have your pantry card readily available.
- When it’s your turn to come inside, show your card to the receptionist, drop your number in the garbage can. You will be given a Clorox wipe to wipe down your hands and cart handle and keep with you. The cart will be pre-packed with standard supply of nutritious groceries.
- You will be directed to the perishable item section, where you will tell volunteers your choice. You Touch You Take! Please not sort through and touch multiple items.
- We understand you may receive some food items you’re not fond of. You may give your unwanted items to a neighbor in need. PLEASE DO NOT discard these valuable food items.
This model is not our standard process, but we need to get folks in and out of the building as quickly as possible. Normal operations will resume as soon as it is safe.
Please know that you will receive a good variety of healthy foods with your quick choice of each of the main categories including dairy, meats, and produce.
EAST PANTRY (East Aurora High School – 801 Zeigler Ave.)
- Please enter the parking lot off of Smith. You will be greeted by a volunteer with a copy of our curbside distribution procedures. Please stay in your car and stay with the line as it moves forward. Please have your pantry card readily available.
- If new to Marie Wilkinson Food Pantry – you will be given a registration form to complete while waiting in your car.
- Follow the line of cars to receive a box of preselected standard items. We understand you may receive some food items you’re not fond of. You may give your unwanted items to a neighbor in need. PLEASE DO NOT discard these items in the school parking lot.
- You will have the opportunity to tell volunteers your selection of meat, dairy, produce and bread. Be prepared to let us know your choice at each station by the loading dock.
This model isn’t our standard process, but we need to get folks in and out of the building or parking lot as quickly as possible. We will resume normal operations as soon as it is safe to do so.
Please know that you will receive a variety of healthy foods with your quick choice of each of the main categories including dairy, meats, and produce.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we monitor this situation. We will adjust strategies as needed, with the goal of keeping us all safe and healthy moving forward. As an agency of the Northern Illinois Food Bank, we are taking our lead from the Kane County Health Department (KCHD) and the CDC.
Everyone who visits Marie Wilkinson Food Pantry is treated with respect and dignity. Coronavirus does not target socioeconomic status, ethnicities or racial backgrounds.
VOLUNTEERS: NEW SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
All volunteers must agree to do the following to help prevent the spread of disease:
- Practice good hand hygiene. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water and/or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer is kept in all public places at all locations.
- Please wear the gloves we provide when handling food or serving clients. Discard the gloves after your shift. Do not save them.
- Please do not touch your nose, eyes, and mouth. Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing. Then go wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap or use hand sanitizer.
- STAY HOME IF YOU FEEL SICK. If you have a fever, stay home until you are fever-free without fever-reducing medication for 48 hours and have been cleared by your doctor.
- At Marie Wilkinson Food Pantry we already wipe down and disinfect public spaces after each distribution.
- New tasks to the post-distribution cleaning procedures include wiping down frequently touched items like doorknobs, handrails, toilet handles, elevator buttons, rails, etc.
Know the facts, don’t panic, and don’t spread rumors. Stay calm.
A few small actions can help us all stay healthy now and in the future. We are constantly monitoring the situation and will give updates in a timely manner.
Thank you! Stay Healthy!!
–The Marie Wilkinson Food Pantry Team